Home
Parks
Spaces
News
Friends
More
  

Delapre Park


View Delapre Park in a larger map
Owned by Northampton Borough Council
Supported by
Designation Grassland
Size 26ha
Grid Ref SP757591
Nearest Post Code NN4 8AW
Linked to Delapre Wood, Delapre Charter Wood, Delapre Crescent Open Space
Near by None
Play Area None
Games Area None
Sports Facilities None
Seats Yes
Parking On site
Walks Short walk leaflet
Estate walk leaflet
Delapre Abbey and park, are supported by Friends of Delapre Abbey
680 acres of wonderful woodland and lakeside walks, outer gardens, water and bog gardens and Ha-ha, makes Delapre Abbey a favourite with families, twitchers, ramblers and dog walkers.
The Abbey of St Mary De-le-pre (St Mary in the Meadow) was built around 1145 by the son of Simon de Senlis, 2nd Earl of Northampton and was the historical setting the resting place for Queen Eleanor's body on it journey from Lincoln to London in 1290 and for the Battle of Northampton in 1460.
After the war the Abbey gently deteriorated, but thanks to FoDA, when in 2001 when there was a possibility of the Abbey being sold to a developer, its future has looked rosier
In October 2011 250,600 of development funding was secured from the Heritage Lottery Fund to produce detailed plans for the work needed to restore and secure the Abbey. A further 3,500,000 will be available if the plans, which will take 18 months to prepare, are accepted.
Northampton Borough Council Web Page

  
TML>