Beckets Park

View Beckets Park in a larger map
Owned by Northampton Borough Council
Supported by Buddies of Beckets
Designation Grassland
Size 8ha
Grid Ref SP759601
Nearest Post Code NN1 1DR
Linked to Midsummer Meadow, Auctioneers Way Open Space
Near by
Play Area Yes
Games Area No
Sports Facilities 4 TennisCourts, Bowling Green
Seats Yes
Parking Midsummer Meadow Pay & Display
Walks Circular park walk
Becket's Park is a traditional park along the bank of the River Nene, and forms a green gateway to the centre of Northampton.
Formally designed as a park for promenading, Becket's Park is used today primarily by workers from the town centre taking the air and relaxing.
Previously known as Cow Medow, the name was changed by the council in 1935 to Beckets Park after Thomas Becket, Henry II's Archbishop of Canterbury, who in 1164 went on trial at Northampton Castle before fleeing abroad.
The structure around the well was erected in 1843 over a spring outside the old town wall. This was the spring at which it is reputed Thomas Becket rested and drank on his flight from Northampton Castle after his trial in 1164 for ‘Defiance of Royal Authority’
The Northampton River Valley Master Plan highlights the importance of the river valley in Northampton and recognises the value of and need to enhance Becket's Park and also the adjacent Midsummer Meadow.
Construction of an 80 birth marina was completed in November 2011 on the opposite side of the river from the park in the former boating lake. The project was supported by WNDC.
Northampton Borough Council Web Page
Draft Nene Meadows Supplimentry Planning Document - October 2013