Home
Parks
Spaces
News
Friends
More
  

Abington Park


View Abington Park in a larger map
Owned by Northampton Borough Council
Supported by Friends of Abington Park
Designation Grassland
Size 47ha
Grid Ref SP775615
Nearest Post Code NN1 5LW
Linked to Abington Vale Open Space
Near by
Play Area Yes
Games Area None
Sports Facilities 4 Football Pitches, 3 Mini soccar pitches, 2 Cricket pitches
Seats Yes
Parking Street
Walks Circular Park Walk
Land for the park was given to the town by Lady Wantage in 1892 and the park was opened to the public in 1897 the first pulic park in Northampton Two years later, in 1899, Abington Park Museum was opened in the centre of the park.
The history of the park, enclosing as it does the parish church of Abington - St Peter & St Paul, is largely a history of the parish and the owners of the manor and parkland and the involvement that those families have had on both the town, the county and national events.
The village was enclosed and depopulated when the manor was enlarged and parklands created by the Thursby family in the late 17th century.
Evidence of the former village can still be seen in the ground with ridge and furrow on the outfield of the cricket pitch.
Northampton Borough Council Web Page